What is personal information?
“Personal information” is information or an opinion, in any form and whether true or not, about an identified individual or an individual who is reasonably identifiable. Examples include an individual's name, address, contact number and email address.
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold
The kinds of personal information we collect and hold about you depends on the nature of your dealings with us and the circumstances of collection, including whether we collect the information from you as a customer, supplier, partner, job applicant or in some other capacity.
- if you are our customer, we will collect your name, address, telephone number, email address, and other information you provide to us when you make an inquiry, request information, submit an order, provide feedback or correspond with us;
- if you are our customer and you register for a Ceres Tag customer account, we will collect the information described above, and also information about your properties (farm details, address, size of farm, property identification code or PIC), your selected software solution (see below) and personal information about you from the use of the Ceres Tag tags that you purchase and activate, such as the location of your tagged animals;
- if you are one of our suppliers or commercial partners, we will collect your name, telephone number, work email address and other contact information you provide to us;
- if you are a job applicant, we will collect your name, address, resume and other information you provide to us during the application and interview process; and
- if you deal with us in some other capacity, we will collect your name and contact details and any other information you provide to us.
If you are purchasing an accredited tag from us and you do not provide us with your property identification code or other information that we are required to collect under biosecurity and related legislation, then we will not be able to supply you with the accredited tags.
We do not generally collect sensitive information, and we will only collect sensitive information about you with your consent (unless we are otherwise required or authorised by or under law to do so). "Sensitive information" means information or an opinion about an individual's racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, memberships of a political association, religious or philosophical beliefs, membership of a professional or trade association or of a trade union, sexual orientation or practices, or criminal record; health information; genetic information; biometric information or biometric templates.
How we collect personal informationWe collect personal information in a variety of ways, including:
- from you directly (such as when you interact with us in writing, electronically or by telephone);
- when you communicate with us through our website;
- from third parties such as software solution providers (including where you connect your Ceres Tag account to your software solution account); and
- for certain regions, we sometimes purchase customer lists from third parties which provide us with the name and contact details for prospective customers in the region.
The purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for a range of purposes, including:
- to supply our products and services;
- to process your orders and communicate with you about those orders;
- to respond to your enquiries about our products and services;
- to perform research and analysis, and improve or develop our products or services;
- to manage our relationships with our customers, suppliers and contractors; and
- to consider job applicants for current and future employment.
Ceres Tag account holders
If you are a Ceres Tag account holder, we will collect, hold, use and disclose personal information about you for the purposes of connecting tags purchased by you to a satellite service, and connecting your account with us to your software solution account.
We do not provide your name or contact details to our satellite services provider in order to connect your tag to the satellite services for the service life of your tag. However, once connected to the satellite service, the tag will transmit data about your tagged animals and this data is only transmitted through our satellite services providers and is not accessible by them.
If you ask us to connect your Ceres Tag account (and tag data) to your software solution account, we will ask you to provide us with the name of the software solution and your email or account ID that you use for your software solution account. We will then contact the software solution provider and request to link your account with us to your software solution account. Your software solution provider will send you an authentication link to validate the request. Once linked, we will make your tag data available to your software solution provider. You can unlink your account at any time by logging into your account and selecting "manage my account".
We may use and disclose your information for other purposes required or authorised by or under law (including in connection with the requirements of any animal identification and/or traceability regulation or system, such as the National Livestock Identification System (NLIS) in Australia, and for purposes for which you have provided your consent).
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
In conducting our business, we may disclose your personal information to third parties for the purposes outlined above. These third parties may include, where appropriate:
- our software partners and satellite service providers to provide connectivity and data services to our customers;
- financial institutions for payment processing;
- our contracted service providers, including:
- delivery and shipping providers;
- information technology service providers, including third party software and data hosting providers;
- marketing, promotional and market research agencies; and
- external business advisors (such as auditors and lawyers);
- if you are using a Ceres Tag tag that is an accredited tag, we will disclose confirmation of your purchase of the accredited tag(s) to the applicable regulators of livestock identification tags;
- in the case of a sale of our business (in whole or part), to the purchaser (as an asset of the business); and
- if you are a job applicant, referees whose details you have provided to us.
Disclosure of personal information to overseas recipients
Some of our service providers are located outside Australia. As a result, personal information collected and held by us may be disclosed to recipients in other countries, including Taiwan.
If you are a customer of a Ceres Tag tag and connected to the satellite service, our satellite service provider located in the United States of America will receive GPS and other data from the tags in order to supply the Satellite Service to you. We do not disclose your name or other personal information to our satellite service provider.
If you request us to link your Customer Account with your software solution partner, and your software solution partner is located overseas, then we will disclose your personal information to the country in which your software partner is located.
We may use your personal information so we can contact you with information about our products and services, special offers, promotions and events that may be of interest to you.
We may contact you by email, mail or telephone. You can let us know at any time if you no longer wish to receive these communications, by contacting us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) or using the opt-out/unsubscribe facility in our communications.
We use tracking pixels and other technology in our marketing emails. This technology allows us to measure your engagement with our emails and other marketing activities, such as whether you have clicked on a link in our email or purchased goods promoted in our emails. We collect and hold this information for marketing and customer experience purposes. We use third party service providers to help us collect and store this information.
Our website (www.cerestag.com)
Website visitor data
We may collect the IP address or MAC address of the device used to access our website, the country or region to which your IP or MAC address is attached, date and time of the visit, the pages viewed, the previous website viewed before our website, items placed in the shopping cart and the type of browser and operating system used. If collected, this information may be used and disclosed by us (in anonymous form only) for marketing and customer experience purposes. This includes for statistical analysis and web site development. We are not able to identify individuals from this information, unless you are logged into your Ceres Tag customer account. However, we may use or disclose this information to try to locate an individual where we reasonably believe the individual may have engaged in any unlawful or inappropriate activity in connection with our website, or where we are otherwise required or authorised by law to do so.
You can read more about the cookies we use and how to set your cookie preference in our Cookie Notice.
How we hold personal information and security of personal informationWe generally hold personal information in computer systems, including computer systems operated for us by our service providers. We take reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. This includes taking appropriate security measures to protect electronic materials, and requiring our service providers to do so.
Access to and correction of your personal information
We take reasonable steps to ensure the personal information we collect, use and disclose is accurate, up to date, complete and relevant.
You can help us by letting us know (using the contact details at the end of this policy) about any changes to your personal information, such as your address and phone number. If you have a Ceres Tag customer account, you can also update your details by logging into your account and selecting "manage my account".
Please contact us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) if you would like to access or correct the personal information we hold about you. We will generally provide you with access to your personal information (subject to some exceptions permitted by law), but may charge an access fee to cover the cost of retrieving the information and supplying it to you.
Complaints about how we handle your personal information
Please contact us (using the contact details at the end of this policy) if you have any concerns or complaints about the manner in which we have handled your personal information. We will inquire into your complaint and respond to you in writing within 30 days. If you are not satisfied with our response, you can contact us to discuss your concerns or lodge a complaint with the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (www.oaic.gov.au).
Contact details and additional information
- by email: email@example.com
- by post: PO Box 552, Samford QLD 4520 Australia
Last updated: February 2021